Fudgey, Chocolate, Black Forest, Cream Cheese, Brownies..
Well… what a way to start the new year! Iv’e started with a bang, been cooking with recipes I have never tried before, still warming dishes like soups, stews, wholesome food and brownies… um did I say brownies? Well yes! Because these square chunks of fudgey, gooey chocolate ridden cheecake and cherry brownies are to die for… They give you a hug from the inside, when you need a good pick me up!
So I dedicate this recipe to my sister, who was just over and I feel left happier once we had a good chat and some brownies! Plus she is the one person who I knows appreciates anything that involves chocolate..
This combination is perfect, it’s like your digging into a chocolate black forest fudge cake, small morsels of cherry add to the unique taste of these brownies. When baked they come out dry on the top but stick a knife through and the middle remains gooey and sticky which is what you want. Once cooled they can be stored in an airtight container.. but hey mine didnt last that long!
Using Nigella Lawson’s Recipe from Domestic Goddess, I added some black cherries into it and you can also put some cherry jam too! (or is that too much!)
- 125g dark chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 190g caster sugar
- 125g butter
- 1tsp vanilla
- 75g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 200g cold Philadelphia
- Black Cherries- pipped, from a can
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a cake tin
- Melt the butter and chocolate together on a low heat until all melted
- Beat the eggs and caster sugar together and then add the chocolate
- Fold in the flour, spoon half the mix into the tin and spread it to the edges, use the back of a spoon or palette knife.
- Cut the Philadelphia cream cheese as thinly as you can and layer them over the batter
- Slice cherries in half and scatter over the batter, about a handful
- Spoon over the remaining mix and ensure all the cream cheese and cherries are covered
- Bake for 20 minutes or until top is pale and dry and when you push a knife or skewer through, the middle should be sticky and gooey!
- Leave to cool, cut into squares and eat!